Local Call (02) 9181 5943

Int'l Call +61 2 9181 5943

Guide to Renting Your Property. our passion!


  • Carefully read and sign your ‘Residential Tenancy Agreement’ form
  • Always keep copies of all documents you sign 
  • Always seek professional advice if you have a tenancy issue or question
  • Check that your new home or unit is completely safe, and immediately raise any issues with your landlord or agent
  • With the agent complete a ‘Condition Report’ if you have paid a bond – you can add to or edit a ‘Condition Report’ completed by a landlord or agent 
  • Consider taking photos of the property before or on the day you move in
  • Complete and sign the ‘Bond Lodgment’ form and keep the receipt
  • Contact the utility companies of your choice to ensure these are connected by the time you move in.


  • Communicate with your landlord or agent and keep them informed of any problems that may arise
  • Make sure you pay your rent on time – this will help for future tenancies 
  • Keep all records such as rent receipts
  • Keep your property clean and in good order as this will minimize any problems that may occur during a landlord or agent inspection and ensure you will not be asked to move on.
  • Ensure you get written permission from your landlord (via your agent) if you wish to sub-let or assign the tenancy agreement to someone else
  • Immediately get your landlord or agent know of any repairs that need to be done
  • Always put requests to your landlord or agent in writing. Forms are available from Consumer Affairs Victoria.  (And NSW)


  • Give required notice when planning to leave; the notice period will depend on your reason for leaving (
  • Pay any outstanding rent
  • Check your responsibilities for separately metered utilities
  • Clean the property
  • Consider taking photos after you move your furniture out to show the condition of the property
  • Take all your belongings with you
  • Keep the ‘Condition Report’ in case of a dispute
  • Agree with your landlord or agent on the return of the bond 

If you have paid a bond, complete the ‘Bond Claim’ form and return it to the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority. The form must be signed by you and your landlord or agent

Always leave a forwarding address with your landlord or agent or Australia Post.